Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Miniature Teochew Pastry (Piah)

 Tranditional Teochew pastries and cakes are getting lesser and lesser in Singapore. I am a Teochew , just like other Singaporeans , I can also speak Hokkien and Cantonese. My parents  used to buy Teochew pastries and cakes  used as offerings to God when I was young . Now, I buy these pastries and    
cakes for my mum just for fun snacking.

I would like to try to make a series of miniature Teochew Piah (cake) in the future.  Below show my handmade miniature Teochew cakes. (the first 2 photos showed the miniature piah without varnish)


You can always see some red Chinese character on top of a Tranditional Teochew Piah( cakes ). I use the Chinese word "福“(fu) : blessing




You can't made a same item twice when it is  handmade, these 3 miniature Teoches cakes look similar but not the same, especially the colour. it is quite difficult to get back the same colour, I try my best. 




Well,I cut the piah into half and  put some fake dao sa (red bean paste) into it.




My handmade Miniature Teochew Piah.

No comments:

Post a Comment